Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do before starting lessons?
- Schedule a free interview lesson! It's your chance to meet me to make sure we would be a good fit. Please contact me or use the scheduling link to set this up.
- Please DO NOT purchase an instrument (unless you already have one) as many "instruments" offered up are low-quality or not suited for beginners. I would love to help you find a quality instrument!
What Are Your Qualifications to teach guitar?
I hold a Bachelor's Degree in Music -AND- Education (State of Alaska, Arizona Teaching Certificates).
(Talented music teachers understand the need to love educating as well as performing. As a former public and private school teacher, and veteran guitarist, I have found a deep passion and respect for the art of teaching).
- I am a member of the Suzuki Association of the Americas as a registered teacher, and have been for over a decade, having completed multiple studies with some of the most talented teacher-trainers in the U.S.
- I have taught nearly a thousand students how to enjoy and develop skills on the instrument, having worked with a full-time student load for the past 15 years.
AT what age can a student start guitar?
- Believe it or not, I have had success teaching students as young as 3! Additionally, many retirees have found a deep enjoyment in their developed competency on the instrument in my studio.
Where are lessons held?
- Our teaching studio is located in West Anchorage (Turnagain Arts Building) 4105 Turnagain Blvd E STE #202.
Do you offer Skype/FaceTime Lessons?
- Yes, on a case-by-case basis. An in-person interview (free of charge) is required before formally starting these lessons, because many students are better served in-person, and may have difficulty learning via video/correspondence lessons.
How much do lessons cost?
- Unfortunately well-trained, professional instruction is not the cheapest option. Please contact for more specific information.
Do you offer make up lessons?
- No. Unless a lesson is missed by me for incredibly rare circumstances. Time is set aside exclusive for each individual student, and I expect students to schedule activities accordingly.
WHat can I do if there are no workable lessons times available in the schedule?
I run a wait pool for lessons. Please let me know if you'd like to be added to it, and I would be happy to set up a consultation in the interim.